For a flawless final look, do your hair before your makeup. It’s easier to clean up any stray hairs on a fresh face than to redo your makeup after your hair is complete.
When prepping for a big event, it is crucial to create the perfect look that suits you. While both hair and makeup are essential for an overall stunning look, the order in which you do them plays a vital role in achieving the desired result. The question of whether to do your hair or makeup first may have crossed your mind at some point, and the answer is not as straightforward as it seems. However, as a professional makeup artist or hair stylist, one thing you must carefully consider is the timing. Doing one before the other can jeopardize the whole routine if not done precisely. In this article, we will provide the necessary insight to help you understand whether to do hair or makeup first.
Pros And Cons Of Doing Hair First
Are you getting ready for a big event and unsure whether to start with your hair or makeup? It’s a dilemma many of us face, but fear not! In this blog post, we’ll explore the pros and cons of doing hair before makeup, so you can make an informed decision on your beauty routine for your next big occasion.
Advantages Of Doing Hair Before Makeup
Here are some benefits of starting with your hair before applying your makeup:
- Hair products won’t ruin your makeup: by doing your hair first, you won’t accidentally get hairspray or other hair products on your freshly applied makeup. Starting with a clean and fresh canvas can ensure that your makeup stays put for longer.
- Hairstyle inspiration: some people may find it easier to envision their overall look by doing their hair first. This can help you decide on your makeup style and colour scheme. It’s also helpful for your hair stylist, who can see what you’re wearing and create a hairstyle that complements your outfit.
- Time-efficient: depending on your hair length and texture, doing your hair first can help save time and energy. This is especially true if you’re planning on having an intricate hairstyle. By starting with your hair, you can have more flexibility with your makeup and dress-up time.
Disadvantages Of Doing Hair Before Makeup
Although there are some benefits of doing your hair first, there are also some drawbacks to consider:
- Sweating: depending on your hair’s style and how much heat you apply to it, doing your hair first may cause you to sweat, and your makeup may not stay put. Sweating can lead to excess oil production, which can oil-up any makeup you had applied earlier.
- Hair touch-ups may be necessary: finishing your makeup look and putting on your outfit may interfere with your hair. For instance, taking your shirt off may cause your hair to get messed up, making your hair stylist have to redo your hair, which can be frustrating if you’re short on time.
- The chance of hair falling out: hairstyles that don’t use much bobby pins, such as loose waves, may cause your hair to fall out or lose volume while you’re putting on your makeup.
There are both advantages and disadvantages of doing your hair before your makeup. Consider these factors when planning your beauty routine, and you’ll be sure to look and feel fabulous for your big event.
Pros And Cons Of Doing Makeup First
From selecting the perfect dress to choosing the right accessories, there are a plethora of decisions to make when it comes to getting ready for a special occasion. One of the most debated topics is whether to do hair or makeup first.
Here we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of doing makeup first.
Advantages Of Doing Makeup Before Hair
- Without any doubt, the most significant advantage of doing makeup before hair is that there is no chance of messing up your hairstyle as you apply mascara or lip gloss after it’s styled.
- When you do your makeup before hair, you can do touch-ups or adjust it before finalising the hairstyle. Moreover, you don’t have to worry about getting makeup on your perfectly arranged hair.
- You can take your time on your makeup, ensuring that you don’t feel rushed and get it perfect before you move on to your hair.
Disadvantages Of Doing Makeup Before Hair
- One of the essential parts of doing the makeup first is that you have to be careful while changing into your dress. Taking clothes on and off can ruin your makeup.
- As your hair and makeup are two separate parts of your look, there’s a possibility that while doing it first time, your hairstyle might not pair well with your makeup and vice versa.
- Hair products contain so many ingredients that may fall on your face and smudge up your makeup, which can waste a lot of your precious time to do it again.
Overall, there are positives and negatives to both options when deciding whether to do makeup or hair first. The correct approach can depend on personal preference, stylist recommendation, time and occasion. It’s essential to consider the pros and cons before picking your order, and hopefully, this article has helped you make that decision.
Factors To Consider When Deciding
It’s a question that has been asked by many women: should they start with hair or makeup first? In this blog post, we will help you make a decision by discussing the factors you need to consider.
Hair Type And Length
Before you start applying your makeup or styling your hair, think about your hair type and length. This will influence the type of products you use and the time you need to allocate to styling your hair.
- If you have short hair, you can probably finish styling it in under 10 minutes. This means you can start with your makeup first.
- If you have long or thick hair, it might take longer to style. In this case, it might be best to start with your hair first while your makeup can set and dry.
- If you have curly hair, it’s best to start with your hair first. Once it’s styled and dried, you can touch up your makeup without ruining your hair.
The makeup look you’re going for can also help you decide on whether you start with your hair or makeup first.
- If you’re going for a basic look, you can do your makeup first and then style your hair.
- If you’re going for a dramatic makeup look, it’s best to style your hair first so that your makeup won’t get in the way.
- If you’re going for a natural look, it’s up to you to decide which comes first.
One of the most important factors to consider is your personal preference.
- If you feel more comfortable doing your hair first, then go for it.
- If doing your makeup first helps you feel more confident, then start with your makeup.
- Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide which to do first based on what makes you feel good.
Another factor to consider when deciding whether to do your hair or makeup first is the time you have.
- If you’re running late, start with your hair first since it usually takes longer to style.
- If you have more time, you can start with your makeup and then style your hair afterward.
- Always leave some time for touch-ups to make sure you look your best.
The occasion can also play a role in your decision-making.
- If you’re attending a formal event, start with your hair first to make sure it’s perfect.
- If you’re going for a casual look, you can start with your makeup and style your hair later.
- Always consider the dress code and venue when deciding on your hairstyle and makeup.
Climate Or Weather Conditions
Finally, it’s important to think about the climate or weather conditions in your area.
- If the weather is humid, it’s best to start with your hair first so that it can set and not get frizzy from the humidity.
- If it’s a windy day, it’s best to start with your makeup so that it won’t get smudged from the wind.
- Always check the weather forecast before deciding on your hairstyle and makeup.
Deciding whether to do your hair or makeup first is a personal choice. It depends on your hair type and length, makeup style, personal preference, time constraints, occasion and climate or weather conditions. By considering these factors, you’ll be able to make the best decision that works for you.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Should I Do Hair Or Makeup First?
Which One Should I Do First, Hair Or Makeup?
It is recommended to do hair first before makeup to avoid any inconvenience and messiness. Doing makeup before hair may cause hair strands to fall on the face, which can ruin your makeup. So it’s best to do your hair first and then move on to your makeup.
Will My Hair Style Affect My Makeup Application?
Your hair style can affect your makeup application. For instance, if you wear your hair down, more attention should be given to your eye makeup. If you are sporting an updo, your face should be the focal point.
Is There A Specific Order To Follow For Hair And Makeup?
It is generally recommended to do hair before makeup. However, there is no strict order to follow. Factors like your personal preference, style and time constraints can influence your routine. Experiment to find out what works best for you.
How Much Time Should I Allocate For Hair And Makeup?
The amount of time allocated for hair and makeup depends on the style and complexity desired. Generally, it takes about 1. 5 to 2 hours for both hair and makeup for special events like weddings or photoshoots. For daily routines, you may need 30 minutes to an hour.
Can I Do My Hair And Makeup At The Same Time?
Yes, you can do your hair and makeup at the same time but it may take some practice to achieve both looks. Start with your hair first to avoid getting makeup on your finished hairstyle. Use a headband or clips to hold stray hairs away from your face while doing your makeup.
Should I Consider The Clothes I’M Wearing In Deciding Which To Do First?
It’s not necessary to consider the clothes you’re wearing when deciding what to do first. Instead, prioritize your tasks based on their importance and urgency. Your clothing choice should not interfere with your productivity or ability to complete your tasks efficiently.
Based on the various factors and benefits discussed, it is evident that both makeup and hair are essential aspects of one’s overall appearance. While some may prefer to begin with hair as it gives a fresher and cleaner look, others may opt for makeup first as it provides a better canvas to work on.
It all boils down to individual preference and time management. Nevertheless, doing hair or makeup first requires one to consider factors such as hair products, personal style, type of makeup, occasion, and outfit. Regardless of the order, it is crucial to ensure that both the hair and makeup complement each other to achieve the desired look.
With these factors in mind, you can experiment with different sequences and adopt the routine that works best for you. Ultimately, remember to relax, have fun and enjoy the process of creating your ideal look that makes you feel confident and beautiful.